Welcome to the web site of the Sleaford Navigation Trust. Some pages of the site remain to be finished and are still under construction.
The Navigation was originally run by the Company of The Proprietors of The Sleaford Navigation. Because of falling revenues caused by the coming of the railway to Sleaford in 1857 the Company obtained an Act of Parliament to enable them to abandon their responsibilities to maintain the Navigation. In fact trade continued on the lower part of the Navigation until the late 1940’s.
The Trust is working to restore the Sleaford Navigation from the River Witham, at Chapel Hill, through to the market town of Sleaford in Lincolnshire. Currently 8 of the 13 miles are open to full navigation although the whole length of the Navigation can be canoed.
The old news is still available on the archive pages links for the news archives can be found on the News Page
Some of the restoration pages are now live, more to follow when time permits.
Fishing prohibited in Sleaford
The Navigation Trust owns the bed and bank of the waterway in Sleaford between Carre Street and the by-pass. With that we also own the fishing rights and would like to clarify that we have not given permission for anyone to fish in that section. No permits are available and no fishing is allowed there.