Registered Charity No 1060234

Registered in England and Wales No 3294818

Home Visit the Slea History News Join us Archive Shop Links Contact Us

Working to restore a rural waterway

Timeline The Early Years The Company Years Restoration Back

The lower part of the Navigation continued in use until the 1950’s with local farmers transporting produce onto the River Witham through Bottom Lock.  At that time the lock was under the control of the Witham Commissioners and had a resident lock keeper.

Sleaford Navigation Society was formed in 1977 with the intention of saving Navigation House from demolition.  Once that goal had been achieved the Society then turned its attention to active restoration of the Navigation.

The last Lock Keeper, life at Bottom Lock

An account of life at Bottom Lock during WW2 by the daughter of the last lock keeper.

Navigation House

The history and restoration of Navigation House.

Bottom Lock

Restoration of Bottom Lock and its subsequent refurbishment.

South Kyme

Works in and around South Kyme to aid navigation.

Cobblers Lock

The restoration of the lock chamber at Cobblers Lock.

Haverholme Lock

Restoration work at Haverholme Lock.

A new Head of Navigation

Works to establish the new Head of Navigation in Sleaford.

Last lock keeper Bottom Lock Navigation House South Kyme Cobblers Lock Haverholme Lock Head of Navigation